Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Mail Me Art 4 - it's on its way!

I've finally gotten round to finishing and posting my piece for Mail Me Art 4: Open All Hours. This time I decided to try out resingrave, a cheaper alternative to end-grain wood blocks for wood engraving. It's weird, and took some getting used to (it's no lemonwood), but it's definitely worth it for the price difference.

                                                                                                                                                                                 WIP, nearly finished



My ink wasn't too keen on the shiny texture of the postcard, but I think the result's pretty cool. It reminds me of those weird old sci-fi covers.
                                                                                        Like A Moth To A Flame, resingrave print, (c) Becca Thorne 2014



This morning I sent it off to Darren, at the last minute remembering to take the obligatory Post Box Shot (a little self-consciously as there was a man waiting in his car parked right beside the post box).



There's no deadline for submissions yet, so you can still take part if you wish. All you need to do is head to the MMA shop and buy a copy of Mail Me Art: Short & Sweet, where you'll find your postcard and instructions on how to enter (as well as lots of lovely pictures of last year's art) mailmeart.com/product/mmass

Find out more here http://www.thelittlechimpsociety.com/mail-art-open-hours/






2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love this little print. I've not heard of resingrave so will have to look it up. Can it still be cut with lino cutting tools or are more sturdy wood cutting tools needed?
    I have just found a love for lino printing so my prints arent quite as finished as yours looks but hopefully practice makes perfect and its fun along the way. Hope your recipient likes your postcard. Will check out the website you gave for the mail me art. Lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carmen :) And thanks for sharing on your blog too - I love the look of your new linocut so far, I look forward to seeing the finished print!
      To work resingrave you'd need wood engraving tools. Whereas lino/wood cutting tools have that channel up the middle to allow for carving, engraving tools are solid, this makes them sturdier and enables you to create sharp, shallow lines and much finer detail than a lino or wood cut. The tools you see in the pic above are from this collection http://www.lawrence.co.uk/shop/Engraving-tools-p1.html#.U3hq_CjM9fg I also buy end-grain wood blocks for engraving and the resngrave from them.

      Delete