Monday, 23 May 2011

The Waiting Room

A couple of months ago I got an exciting Facebook message from an old friend who I hadn't seen or spoken to in more than 10 years. Nestled within a brief overview of his life since we last met he said he'd written a book, was self publishing and would I illustrate the cover for him? "Yes please!!" I gleefully messaged back. After I'd read through the manuscript (i love it when I get to read the book before I start - it doesn't happen very often) we decided on a wrap-around design of a tree and falling leaves, based on the wallpaper which decorates the book's Waiting Room. It's white on white in the book, but as the cover will be viewed online rather than in store I decided it needed to have some subtle colour that would look good on all sorts of screens. Here's what we came up with:


















I'm rather pleased with it - it's delicately autumnal and ever so slightly funereal, which suits the themes of the story to a T.
Here's the little description of the book I wrote for the website that he's using to publish:

"Paul is a busy man. With an important deadline looming he's no time to consider the needs of his wife and small children. But when he suddenly finds himself in a stark white waiting room, with nothing but time on his hands and the dead for company, he starts to look back on his life, his family and his friendships and finally begins to listen to the world around him."

It should be available soon on self-publishing website lulu.com, I'll post a link when it's up.

3 comments:

  1. heeeeey good work Bec, the cover looks great and i really like this description "delicately autumnal". Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely Becca, nice one

    ReplyDelete